Say whaaaat? I checked my sources, and indeed there is a new semi-pro league out there now for those who can't get into the NFL. I'm assuming it was created after the European NFL league closed shop. They even had their draft yesterday?!
Okay, let me give you a couple facts first, before I unload some crazy ass rumors spreading like wildfire:
- There are only 6 teams in this initial year---Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Tennessee, and Texas
- Some of the games will be played on campuses of the universities, some on independent venues
- The games will be held in spring and early summer
- The CEO is Marcus Katz, a big shot student loan guy---no word yet if he shakes 24/7 like his uncle, Dr. Katz
- Cedric Dempsey, former NCAA President, is Chairman of the Board; in other words, this league is legit, and not another XFL (sorry El Matteo)
- Probably most important of this whole shabang---you can't play in this league until you have completed your college eligibility and your four-year degree. In other words, all those thuggish ruggish bastards who thought they were the shizz and left early/never graduated, only to not be playing anymore, might have a change of heart and seek their college degree now, so they can play in this league. Wow...there's something refreshing about that.
The schedule for the Alabama team is as follows:
|6/28/08||First Round of Playoffs|
|7/3/08 or 7/5/08||Championship Game|
Alabama's coach is Mike Jones (what? Mike Jones! What? Mike Jones!), who won the World Bowl in 2006 with Frankfurt. Well yippee skippy. Who did we draft? Some notable names:
P Kody Bliss (Auburn)
DB Gerald Dixon (Alabama)
DB Jeffrey Dukes (Alabama - watch out for him)
TE Terry Jones Jr. (Alabama)
WR Freddie Milons (Alabama)
DB Reggie Myles (Alabama)
OHHHHHHHHHH SHIT. IT'S ON NOW: Saleem Rasheed, Joker's Favorite Bama Player, LB
RB Tre Smith (Auburn)
LB Karibi Dede (Auburn)
DB Marcus Spencer (Alabama - God I miss these players)
I'm automatically interested now that I know Rasheed is here (drafted 90th overall?? What the hell is wrong with you people?!). It's funny how this flew under the radar for so many people, when this league has SO many fan favorites and forgotten players we cheered for. I'll post more notable names (and rumors) later today. And I couldn't find a good picture of Saleem on the net, so I made my own, motha truckas!!
Alabama's two quarterback are Brian Balazik from Southern Miss and Kevin Eakin from Fordham. Reeeeally. Arkansas has LSU's Marcus Randall and ex-hog Clint Stoerner. Florida has Chris Leak. Tennessee has Woodrow Dantzler and Tee Martin. Texas has Eric Crouch (loved him) and Kliff Kingsbury. Ugh, are we behind from the start already??
Anyway, the rumors that are out of control on rivals.com is that Chris Long , James Laurinaitis, and Malcolm Jenkins all plan to go to the AAFL instead of the NFL. This would blow my mind if any of the three were to do so. Although there is slight credence to the rumors, considering JL and MJ are coming back for their senior years when they could be top 15 picks in the NFL draft in April. We shall see.
As for the other big names other than the Alabama squad and QBs I mentioned, here are a few:
Albert Means - Arkansas (not gonna touch this one)
Peter Warrick - Florida (one of my boys---I AM P-Dub in backyard football)
Willie Jackson - Florida
Travis McGriff - Florida
Ryan Moore - Florida (this Florida thing is getting a little crazy)
Chris Doering - Florida
Fred Weary - Florida
Chris Chukwuma - Arkansas
Jeremy Lesueur - Michigan
Antonio Perkins - Arkansas
Garrett Rivas - Michigan
Rod Smart - Tennessee (yes, it's He Hate Me)